Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Glide Review - J Mascis -Several Shades of Why


Got a new review up over on Glide.

Read it right C'here!!!

It is of J Mascis New Album, Several Shades of Why.

I have made no secret of my love for J in these parts, so it should come as no surprise that I dig the album.

Granted it is a whole heaping lot different sounding then 99% of other shizz that he plays, but his song writing and talent are there, it is just that the delivery is softer.  

I do admit Several Shades of Why sounded a bit "demo-y" when I rolled through it, but the more time I spent listening the more I loved and heard that patented Dinosaur Jr sound (minus the noise).  While strange it was still reassuring to hear his familar questioning lyrics and fluid like few other guitar lines.  Let's be honest, live any of these tunes would work with Lou and Murph banging the hell out of them...maybe we'll get to see that at some point 

A really solid disk, front to back, give it a whirl, especially if Dino was/is too noisy for your tender little ears...(sissy)

A few tunes:
"Not Enough"

Some kick arse Dinosaur Jr tunes Solo, none are on the album, unfortunately.
"Get Me" (complete with Broken String and recovery solo...)

"Alone" referenced in the review when discussing "Can I"

No comments:

Post a Comment